Thursday, July 26, 2012

Some Mother-Daughter Time

As I mentioned in the graduation post earlier, Anthon, together with my in-laws, flew my mom out to Provo and surprised me.

We both really, really enjoyed spending a couple of weeks together alone. Anthon had already moved to DC with a big truck, so it was great for me to have somebody around me to not feel too lonely.

The Spencer and Stephanie Magleby, most generous as always, let us live in their basement until I was done with spring term.

Although I didn't have a ton of free time, because spring term started just a few days after Anthon's graduation and I was taking 8 credits during that term, we still managed to spend a lot of time with each other.


On one weekend, we went to my favorite city- Las Vegas! That was probably the highlight of our time together.

My mom had only seen a little bit of Vegas, so I HAD to take her there and show her the strip, go to the "Wicked Spoon" buffet and watch a couple of Bellagio fountain shows.






Of course, I also had to let her try the 16 different Coke product flavors from all around the world. One our favorite thing to do with guests.



After a looong stay at the Ross on the strip (one of my favorite stores!), we walked some more on the strip, watched another Bellagio fountain show and went to Caesar's palace for dessert.






Dessert at Max Brenner- our absolute favorite Chocolate Restaurant and a must when you visit Vegas.



There is a neat fish tank close to Max Brenners. I had never seen fish like this one before...pretty funny.



Mission fulfilled: I successfully converted my mom to a Vegas-Lover *yeah*





Back in Provo, I couldn't believe when my mom told me that she had never gone bowling in her life....so.... we HAD to go bowling.
We invited one of our ex-sister missionaries that served in Augsburg many years ago, Marian Paller. But before we went, my mom cooked some delicious Wiener Schnitzel and made her famous Northern German potato salad....yumm!





We had so much fun going bowling! My mom was actually pretty good for her first time. In the second round, she got, I think, 2 or 3 strikes in a row.... I still don't believe she had never gone bowling before.


We also went to one of my favorite places in the area- Welfare Square! Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures...
I loved going back and showing my mom this place. I served at Welfare Square for 6 weeks during my mission and I absolutely loved it. What a remarkable welfare system!
A trip to DI afterwards, was a must, too, of course ;-)



I"m not exactly sure when we did that, but we also met up with Bob (who baptized my mom) and Cherry Reed and had some delicious dinner at the Cheesecake Factory together. My mom had never been there and I HAD to introduce her to their amazing cheesecakes *sooo dangerously good!*

On another occasion, we went to the Salt Lake Temple and did several ordinances for some of our very close relatives. We had a wonderful, spiritual and uplifting time there!
In the evening, we did endowments together with the Jeff Price, who played an important role in my mom's conversion to the church, which was really neat. Missions never end, right?











I'm so grateful that my mom got to be here for Anthon's graduation and that we could spend some time together. With my parents living so far away, we never know when we get to see them the next time. We thought that we would see them again when we have our first baby or so (that means a looooong time!), so I'm really glad that at least my mom got to fly over the lil' pond and spend some mother-daughter time with me.

Thanks to those who made this possible!!!








Some random pictures from Vegas, my photographer's paradise...



























































































Amazing, huh?





The most stylish H&M I've ever seen... 






2 comments:

  1. Your mom is gorgeous so at least we know where you got it!! They still talk about the missionaries who had trouble because you were here miss you lots Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures Melissa. I'm glad you got to spend some fun time with your Mom.

    ReplyDelete