Sunday, October 17, 2010

What a sad day..... what a sad day...

I was shocked!

I was so sad, when I found out on Facebook, that my 1st Mission President, David Michael Stewart had passed away on Friday 15th- my 1 year being home!

He was the grandfather I always wanted to have, but never had...




Betty Lou, President's wife, wrote to one of our senior couples from Temple Square the following:

"Last night Michael and I excitedly looked over the list of seniors
who are going to Branson filled with anticipation for our opportunity to be with our eternal friends. Today at mid afternoon, I returned from a shopping trip to find Michael lying on the floor of the kitchen in a resting position already cold having passed away probably a few hours earlier. He was in good health with his next 30 years planned out and his card filled with the jobs for the day: 9-12 paint the porch etc etc. We had just returned from three days together in Bear Lake where we played tennis and walked daily. My heart is heavy but as Elder Evans, his dear friend, said, He was prepared for eternal life. We send our love to all of you and ask you to send out a senior Email. We love you.
Betty Lou Stewart"




I was really shocked and still can't believe that this man, who was always full of energy has passed away.

I always thought he would one day become one of the 12 apostles in the church.
What a great man the world lost on Friday!

I've never met a man that made me feel so loved (except Anthon of course).
I remember our interviews and how he looked at me, tears in his eyes and told me to tell my mom that she should be proud of me.

I will never forget his warm hugs and his smile while I was telling him what I had learned on my mission so far.



I will never forget to "KILL THE PIG!"

I will never forget his funny stories from his mission in the Swiss-Austrian Mission.

We sometimes talked in German and often talked about German food :-) (He also served as a mission president in the Frankfurt Germany Mission).

I will never forget our LUAUs in Big Cottonwood Canyon-they were so much fun!

I will never forget our mission conferences and how often he made us get up and sing the song "What a great day!"

It goes like this: "What a great day! What a great day! What a what a what a what a, what a great day!
What a what a what a what a what a what a what a what a what a what what a great day!"

(I hope I didn't forget a "what a")



I'm sad that I couldn't go to our mission reunion at the October conference weekend, but I am grateful that he and his wife came to our wedding and that he gave a little speech.

Sadly, my mission conference notes are all still at home in Germany.

But I do remember, him talking about casting away our fears: " KILL THE PIG!!!!"
He said this in every mission conference!!!

He taught us what our future husbands should be like and he said: "Adam and Eve had a great relationship! Adam didn't talk about what a good cook his mom is, and Eve didn't talk about her former boyfriends." :-D

I used to name President Stewart my "teddy bear". He always hugged us, he was such a warm, welcoming person. He made every sister feel like a princess.
I will never forget how spiritual he was! He often, really often cried in our mission conferences.



He has had a great impact in my mission and in my life. I will miss him but I'm thankful for the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation... knowing that we will one day have a huge mission reunion in heaven and sing together "What a great day!"


Thank you President Stewart for everything you did for me!!!



at our wedding- the last time I saw him...



Here are some links about what he achieved in life and the announcement in the SL Tribune and deseret news:

http://www.stewartspeaks.com/

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50485678-76/stewart-lake-salt-commission.html.csp

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700074396/Former-Salt-Lake-County-Commissioner-D-Michael-Stewart-dies.html




Also, if you knew him, you can post something on this website:

http://d-michael-stewart.1000memories.com/



"We will all see [Michael] again."

No comments:

Post a Comment